Thursday, May 9, 2013

Mainforce VC get ready for action...

As Ken W. and I get closer and closer to finishing our armies for a sharp Vietnam War battle, we will offer them up in a pass in review. Up first is a MainForce VC sapper/special tasks platoon, based of for the "Tour of Duty" Flames of War suppliment.


Mainforce VC Sapper/Special Tasks platoon
 

The figures are a mixture of Flashpoint Miniatures, and Peter Pig 15mm castings.  From the beginning, I was more interested in fielding a MfVC army, and this was assisted by the rather horrid figures released by BattleFront. 

 
 
The unit is depicted in that act of breaching the barrier wire that was common with Free World forces defenses.  The wire itself is aluminum grating, cut out strand by strand.  If carefully done, this leaves "barbs" in the wire AND, as it is soft, it bends VERY easy.  I would even say it bends "in scale".  I mean, it looks like real barbed wire and not something manufactured to look like it. BattleFront's  very own Mike Haught showed me how to do the wire effects, and I give him all the credit.
 
 
 
I'm particularly happy with how the crater turned out.  It could be from another breaching team blowing the wire, a mortar strike, or a claymore, but I think it makes for a good effect.
 
 
 
 
When doing my bases I prefer to give them a unique color, so I can separate then from other units.  Although in this case the wire effects, the full teams, and the specific sapper figures (pole charges and satchel charges) would accomplish this, the gold border makes it easier from a distance.


 
 
 
One concern when mixing figure ranges and manufacturers is will they fit together?  Both Flashpoint and Peter Pig are different, I feel they are close enough.
 

 

 
 
When painting I chose to model MfVC units later in the war, where NVA cadres were used more and more as filler to replenish war-weary VC units.  I figured there would be a predominance of the latewar green uniform, but with enough khaki bits from older uniforms, as well as a mix of civilian clothes and the iconic black pajamas.  I could also use this unit as a bedraggled and out of supply NVA platoon, or even a well organized band of locals. 
 

 
 
I do look forward to pushing this unit on the table. That's all for now!

2 comments:

  1. Great platoon! I will be interested to see how these guys perform on the tabletop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously good work on these minis! Great post!
    Mike B
    despertaferres.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete