Thursday, May 9, 2013

MainForce VC 2nd Platoon...

Part 2 of my MfVC "Pass in Review", it is May and all, and I offer to the dice gods a second platoon of VC/battle-weary NVA.  The figures are a mix of Flashpoint and Peter Pig.  Again, I'm just not feeling what BattleFront has to offer.  The NVA they've put out earlier is not going to work for me.  Don't misunderstand, BattleFront has an excellent and well earned reputation for their figures, and I would highly recommend them for 15mm gaming, but their NVA just plain stinks.  Rumor has it there is a new line on the way.
 
 

My personal preference, and yet another big dig on the BF line, is I think communist infantry look better in the bush hat, rather than the big sampam hats, or the plastic helmets. 


 
I again gleaned my past ACW Confederate experience and painted my VC in various uniforms (black, green, and khaki), as well as some civilian dress. 

 
 

 
 
Back before BattleFront really developed their Vietnam system, I did some reaserch for another game company, trying to flesh-out MainForce VC organization.  What I discovered is that MfVC and NVA are pretty much identical, with the MfVC suffering from shortages in manpower, and weapons in terms of number and in size and sophistication.  If a NVA battalion had 6 120mm mortars for support, a MfVC battalion had 4 82mm tubes.  If an NVA battalion had 6 .51 cal DshK machineguns, the MfVC would have 4 old .30 cals.


 
I tried to reflect this deficiency by basing MfVC teams normally in threes, and in pairs for command and LMG teams. 
 
 
Lastly, I have a WIP objective, a VC supply cache in the process of being buried.  OR... a VC supplies that were captured by Free World forces and are being readied for disposal. The radio, weapons, food, and ammunition were a Peter Pig pack. The tarp is paper-towel and white glue.  I'm still trying to work on the hole so it stands out with more depth. 
 





Thanks for looking!

1 comment:

  1. Great looking figures and paint job! I have to say that your object is probably one of the coolest I've seen, relatively simple yet very creative and well painted.

    ReplyDelete